Labdoo wants to wish all of you a Happy New Year 2016. Together, may this year be yet another great one to help spread education around the world.
The world buys every year more than 400 million laptops and electronic tablets, yet 5000 million people still don't have access to powerful online and free sources of education. Whether we have 5 minutes, one hour, or a day of our time, here are a few things we can all do together or on our own to help spread education around the world in 2016:
- Tag a laptop. Do you have a laptop or a tablet that you no longer use? Then consider donating it to a Labdoo school to help bring education to a child. All you need to do is 'tag it' by going to the this link and filling in the form. This will only take you 5 minutes.
- Sanitize a laptop. Do you have one hour of your time? then help sanitize a laptop by cleaning an unused laptop or tablet, installing the education software, and making it ready so that the laptop can travel to a needy school. Follow the step by step instructions in the Labdoo wiki to sanitize your unused laptop from this link: sanitation steps.
- Help carry a laptop in your next trip. Are you traveling? then consider bringing one or two sanitized laptops/tablets in your luggage to your destination. By re-purposing your trip to help move laptops around the globe, at Labdoo we accomplish our mission of spreading education to schools without adding any new CO2 emissions to the Planet and without any economic cost. We call this collaborative way of transporting objects around the world 'dootrips'. Here is a list of Labdoo hubs from where you can pick up sanitized laptops, and here is a list of target school destinations where they can be delivered. You can register your dootrip by going to this link.
- Rescue and recycle a broken laptop. It is as important to spread education using laptops as making sure we keep our planet clean from electronic waste. Do you know of a laptop that is broken and that it can no longer be fixed nor used for education purposes? then it is time to recycle it! Find the closest recycling facility to your place and bring the laptop so its components can be properly disposed, starting a new cycle of life.
- Create your own hub. If you have more time and the determination to help children reach education, you can also create your own Labdoo hub. Labdoo hubs can be created at home, at work, at high schools, at universities, at your NGO, you name it. The idea is simple: with your own hub, you will be able to create your own local campaigns to collect unused laptops and to host your own laptop sanitation events. If you are interested in creating a hub, email Labdoo at email@example.com.
- Help spread the word. Even if you can't do any of the above, there is still a lot of people in the world who can. So a great way to help spread education is by explaining the Labdoo story to your friends, family, class mates, or co-workers. You can read the About Labdoo page and you can watch this video to learn how the Labdoo Aid Social Network works and to get an idea of how together we can help make Education a universal right. You can also create your own local campaigns to spread awareness and mobilize your local community by using the material (logos, flyers, posters, etc.) that you will find in the Labdoo Toolkit.
We take this opportunity to thank you for all the amazing work you have done in 2015 to help spread education and we look forward to continue doing more with you in 2016!
The Labdoo Team